WildSurvive Forum
Holly

Urban Woman's Bug Out Bag

I'm just going to post pics of the items in the larger gear bag because nobody cares to see my undies

Well Whistle Whistle (JK)  :woot: :rofl: ??? B) ::) :blush: :naughty: :whistle: :P

Ok, here's a new one that I learned the hard way for a bug out bag. Buy one of those pre=paid calling cards. I was in a small town in the middle of nowhere and my cell phone didn't work and they only had one public pay phone in town. I tried to make a credit card call but the operator (old days) was automated and I couldn't get anyone with a pulse. All the stores and shops in town had signs that said "don't ask to use the phone" and so, for 2 bucks, I bought a calling card with 30 minutes on it. Enough for an emergency situation.

Great advice, Rocky.  You should get some of those and keep them in your truck so you can call people so they don't worry about you.  :P

Great advice, Rocky.  You should get some of those and keep them in your truck so you can call people so they don't worry about you.  :P

I think I just got reprimanded. :P

You better watch it missy! I'll have Swede send you another picture!!! :devil:

Fine then, I'll call tomorrow. or uh, today, I forgot it's only 4 am.

LOL!!!  NO MORE PICTURES!!!  That last one burned my innocent eyes right out of their sockets!

BTW, folks, (ESPECIALLY you men out there!  :P)  I know it seems silly to you, but PLEASE make sure at least one other person knows where you are when you travel or go off into the woods for days and days.  Emergencies do happen, people do love you and worry about you when you go MIA, and if TEOTWAWKI happens, the ones who love you would like to know how to find you.

Then again, maybe you DON'T want to be found if TEOTWAWKI happens...in that case, give my best regards to D.B. Cooper when you meet him...

LOL!!!  NO MORE PICTURES!!!  That last one burned my innocent eyes right out of their sockets!

BTW, folks, (ESPECIALLY you men out there!  :P)  I know it seems silly to you, but PLEASE make sure at least one other person knows where you are when you travel or go off into the woods for days and days.  Emergencies do happen, people do love you and worry about you when you go MIA, and if TEOTWAWKI happens, the ones who love you would like to know how to find you.

Then again, maybe you DON'T want to be found if TEOTWAWKI happens...in that case, give my best regards to D.B. Cooper when you meet him...

We need to make a section of the forum dedicated to TEOTWAWKI!

TEOTWAWKI = "The End Of The World As We Know It", sometimes known as when the SHTF.  :hugegrin:

SHTF  AKA: Stuff* Hits The Fan

* Stuff may be occasionally substituted for a word containing more of a "shhh" sound.

I need to find a way to pack chocolate without it getting all melted and runny and looking just like that SHTF mess!  :woot: :rofl:

Guest taken by the wind...

~ I really don't feel like packing all that stuff up, and hauling it around in my van. Can't someone just pack up some extra for me? And I'll come by maybe the third or fourth day after TEOTWAWKI ? It would save me a lot of grief...If I"m still alive. If not, I will have saved a lot of trouble hauling that stuff around forever. :glare: :whistle: :smoke:

(Oh, don't bother packing any chocolate for me Holly... just grape nerds for me please.) I don't think they'll melt.

:rofl: :rofl:

Taken, I have enough stuff to keep both you and me comfy until we can commandeer a condo somewhere nice... :whistle:

I found this on the net:

http://www.geocities.com/lighttrailfood/ready2eat.htm

pemmican

I prefer to use pulverized jerky. Used to pound it, but now use food processor. While traditional recipes use tallow as a binder, it is hard to get good tallow because of way beef is fed today. I use instead high temperature chocolate that I get from bakers supply houses. It tastes better anyway. It is semisweet. I use half jerky, 1/8 each of raisins, slightly chopped peanuts, shredded coconut, and dried cranberries (plus rose hips when I can get them). Stir this into enough of the melted chocolate to make a really stiff paste. Melt chocolate in double boiler or microwave. Press mixture into a square pan. It should be from 3/4" to 1" thick. Let cool until rather stiff, Cut into bars the size you like. Mine are usually 1" by 2-1/2". Let cool completely and remove from pan. Wrap each bar smoothly with aluminum foil. If I am going to keep it for more than 2-3 months, I dip the completed and wrapped bars in melted paraffin. I have kept it for more than two years in the freezer with no problem. Over six months in an emergency pack. Just doesn't last longer than that, somebody always says it's an emergency ;)

Hi temp paraffins

Designation                  Name                                            Melting point

4045EP              Cut n' carve                              142 

5055                       Botanical/One Pour Votive       152

5560                       One Pour Votive                           156.5

5055 exhibits excellent transparency combined with enhanced hardness that makes them suitable for use as the outer shell of botanical candles.

Highly refined paraffin waxes are available only in 10.2-pound slabs packaged 5 per case.

4045 EP, 5055 & 5560 are all manufactured in compliance with FDA regulations.

I think you can substitute anything you like Holly, but I would make sure that you kill any bug larva that might be on them since this is going to be a survival type food.  Depending on the melting point of the chocolate, you probably would get a good pest kill.

I think I'd make small batches at first and put a thermo in the chocolate.  If the temp gets to 180 F and stays there for a few minutes, you can be sure you've killed any bacteria or vermin in the mix.  Then if you use fairly sterile technique when you package, you will extend the life by a considerable amount, in my opinion.  Sterile technique:  Never touches anything that hasn't been sterilized.  Hands washed and then using sterile gloves.

If your preparing for a situation where you might be evacuated such as a flood, wild fire or even house fire you might want to include some of your important documents and papers in a waterproof bag

Hummm good idea. My wife will want to take all the family pictures.  :D