WildSurvive Forum
Holly

Urban Woman's Bug Out Bag

Burn all your pics, ID's, and important papers to a couple of DVD's.  Acquire a laptop capable of reading the DVD's.  Then, with an inexpensive ink jet, or a business copy center, all of your important stuff is available.  If worried about security, use something like truecrypt.  See www.truecrypt.org  Make some trial runs with the software and hardware to make sure everything works before crunch time.

Another not so bad idea is to burn another DVD with text versions with necessary pictures of any survival, spiritual, or recreational reading you may want to do.

Just wanted to make a suggestion to save you a little weight.  I noticed that you carry the Kershaw Outcast and a hatchet.  Just speaking from personal experience with those style of hatchets,  Your knife is probably 10 times the chopper that the hatchet is.  If it were my bag I would ditch the hatchet.

It is nice to see a woman who is actually serious about preparedness.  I put together a bob for my wife, and we both have car bags, but I think she just goes along with it to make me feel better.  It may be a little differant now that we have a child though.

Excellent points, nurkerool and Dfarm!  :yes:

I have all my beloved pictures on a memory stick now.  I want to get a couple more and keep one over at my parents' house and one in my fireproof safe.  I'll scan my birth certificate and other important docs and get those on the memory sticks too. 

Dfarm, I LOVE my mini machete. :grin:  At night, it rests against my bedside table where I can reach down and grab it in a hurry if I need it.  I live alone right now and I'm on the ground floor in an apartment building, so the chances of a break-in are a bit higher than average.

The mobile phone network went down here. I was buggered without my mobile, i didn't need to make any important calls so not a major problem but in future i will carry some small change just in case i need to use a call box to make a call.

I have never lost my wallet, again i would be lost without it. It can take up to two weeks to replace bank cards over here.

Muddy I allways carry about 10 to 50 bucks in my front pockets and emergancy funds and I can't tell you how manny tims it has saved me. I also have a small altoids tin fuill of quarters and dimes for vending machines if I want a snack or as adi said pay phones although they aint to common around here

This is awesome!! You inspired me to get off my rear and be more prepared than I currently am.

Also when I think of urban I think of all sorts of disasters and what would prevent me from bugging and one thing in a disaster I notice is there are also folks bleeding from debris, explosions and etc...one thing that is lite and may benefit or compliment an urban bob is a bag of celox coagulant to stop major bleeding.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

It makes me feel so good when someone gets that "ah ha!" moment and gets all excited about putting together a bug out bag.  :yes: 

My dream is to start a company focused primarily on women's urban bug out bags, for women to keep in their cars and in their desks at work, and in their dorm rooms at school.  I want to put together a video showing them every day occurrences that can happen to them and how much better it will be if they are prepared. I also want to help them to feel more empowered, by giving them some confidence in themselves that they can take care of themselves in the event of an emergency.  I would love to travel around the country and give little seminars in their offices and in their schools to teach them how to use the items in their bug out bags, and to encourage them mentally and emotionally too. 

I just feel that this is something I am supposed to do.  My "calling", I guess.  :grin:

What scares me most about a large scaled disaster is the actions of the unprepared.  If you are able to bring awareness to individuals then you are a blessing...from what I gathered so far on this forum, you definitley have the ability to make this happen! Follow your passion and calling!!!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I'd love to build my wife an edc kit but I can't get her to carry her keys and cell phone every where she goes I'm currently working on getting her to buy a purse to carry every where

Good luck with that, HB.  :grin:  I still have a bad habit of cramming all my stuff in my jeans pockets, then sending my driver's license and bank card through the washing machine and dryer.  And it sure makes a mess when my Cherry Chapstick melts all over everything in the dryer.  :P

I'd recommend one of the "sling" handbags that are made completely of cloth.  They are lightweight, they are comfortable to carry, and they squish down really well into a backpack. 

Wal-Mart has loads of them and they are inexpensive. 

For Christmas last year my mom wanted a new purse. She wanted a nice sensible ladies hand bag. I wanted her to have something which she could use take out a mugger.

We did compromise with nice leather bag from LL Bean. Well made and sensible but bugout worthy IMO. Skip the stuff from Walmart it tends to be shoddy.