WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Nazgul

throwing rocks

everyone is talking about guns and knives...but what happened to good old rock throwin ? when i was a little boy i used to throw rocks at dogs and cats and basically every animal that moved...and i got a good throwing skill at animals that move ...then, after the neighbours complained to my parents that i throw rocks at the cats they feed i started to make my own targets (bottles, trees etc)...i am surprised to see that i still have a good aim after i made a birds feathers to fly....didn't kill the bird :P didn't want to ...anyway it's good to have a good aim ...if you find yourself in the bush without a knife it's either a good hand fitted rock ...or fishing with a stick i guess

Guest HazeyWolf

As you've suggested, Nazgul, opportunistic hunting takes some practice.  Trapping is generally a more efficient means of aquiring game in hunter-gatherer or survival situations,  but the long tradition of using modified sticks and stones as weapons and tools to aquire food is a definative facet of our species; Form follows function... we've been throwing stuff for quite a while - we're built for it and are very good at it.  The historic range of diverse, primative tools which various people and cultures have improvised and relied on is facinating to examine.

Slings, Rabbit Sticks, Apache Throwing Sticks, Boomerangs, Throwing Spears, Bolos, Atlatyl's and Darts, Nets, Snares, Bow and Arrows were all successful attempts to improve on our great and cultivated ability to throw things (especially rocks), but there remains something very satisfying and primal about selecting just the right throwing stone, taking aim, and letting it fly...

a throwing stick is better than a rock, rocks are for making ripples in a pond lol

a rock is more precise and you can throw it with more power...a stick makes perfect on short distances

I agree on both hands.  Not being a star in baseball myself, I would probably prefer to pick up and curved stick for larger game (rabbit size) but for a squirrel or rat I could not beat a decent sized rock.  Just my opnion.

David and Goliath are figures a well-known tale in the Bible (1 Samuel 17, in most English language versions), wherein David, an Israelite shepherd-boy and future King of Israel, using his sling, defeats and kills Goliath, a giant Philistine warrior, in single combat.

Most primitive people used throwing sticks as hunting weapons, very few used stones. The stone only became a viable weapon with the invention of the sling as Swede has just said.

But then i think history is wrong in calling it the stone age, really it was the wood, antler and stone age.

Guest HazeyWolf

Sling and shot is deadly - Someone on the old forum made a beautiful sling and posted pictures... I may be wrong, but I think it was Unca Walt...

I saw a 'Naked Archeologist' show on King David where they tested slings with stones... didin't look too easy... but I've heard that bullet shaped lead shot produces a nasty wound... The sling was very common because its so inexpensive and easy to construct, and has a had a historical impact on many ancient battles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sling_%28weapon%29

Slinging.org has a great site! http://www.slinging.org/

It totally agree with you, Adi... we might even have to add cordage and pitch and fire to the list before its quite right...

Here's a song about throwin' stones for you, Nazgul: 

- the audio sucks but its a great song! lol..

"And the politicians are throwing stones

So the kids they dance they shake their bones

Cause its all too clear were on our own

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free

Its dizzying, the possibilities. ashes, ashes all fall down."

I used to train with a sling but stopped when i hit my wife in the shoulder with a rock!

I used to watch the Palestinian kids against Israeli soldiers so know how effective they are. They take a lot of practice to become a dead shot with them though.

Adi, don't feel bad.  I hit my husband in the arm with a golf ball.  The funny thing was, he was directly BEHIND me.  We never did figure out how I managed to do that.  He won't take me golfing anymore either!  :disgust:

Nazgul, I'm pretty good at throwing darts and a baseball.  Here in North Carolina, we don't have dirt, we have red clay.  It makes very dense clumps.  When we were young, we played "Army" and used the dirt clods as "hand grenades".  I was pretty deadly with those!   :whistle:  :D

I guess each of us has to find the medium we are comfortable with.  Some people are skilled at throwing things, some people are skilled at catching things, and some are skilled at shooting things.  There is no "best" way, only what is best for you.  :thumbup:

I used to throw dirt hand granades.

I guess each of us has to find the medium we are comfortable with.  Some people are skilled at throwing things, some people are skilled at catching things, and some are skilled at shooting things.  There is no "best" way, only what is best for you.   :thumbup:

Your so right Holly

Adi, if we ever have a "Wild Survive" softball or baseball or cricket team, I want you and Nazgul on mine, okay?  :thumbsup:

yeah and i used to play a game named "obligated" i hit the ball in one place and the other kid was obligated to hit the same spot ...we'll make a fortune